Sunday, June 7, 2009

Story #54: At The Beach


me up to my ankles in the cold swirling surf of Ocean Beach, staying right where I am even when the shifting sands and chilly toes make it very tempting to want to go


On Wednesday I went to Ocean Beach with Sarah. She is leaving in just a few days to move back to Seattle for the summer. In the fall, she will move to Los Angeles to begin rabbinical school.

Two years ago we had met on the same beach except then it was me leaving for my sabbatical and her staying here in San Francisco. Now it is the other way around. I was going to camp and then Jerusalem, she is going to Zeigler and then to...well, of course...Israel eventually. Unsurprising.

We talked about the ideas of staying and going, about which is easier, about which is more brave. We talked about how going is usually a choice while staying is sometimes not, is sometimes just status quo. I had always thought that going requires greater courage but recently I am beginning to learn that staying is much harder than it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment