Sunday, June 7, 2009

Story #55: Jessica!


Over Memorial Day weekend I went to Tawonga to work as an educator for family camp. The long drive into the mountains gave me plenty of time to think, worry, plan (ha!) and daydream about the future. The scenery outside the car was gorgeous, as ever, but inside my mind it was a mix of beautiful and exciting possibilities about what could be next in my life and disappointing, terrifying fears about loss.

And then, of course, there is the charge to just live in the present, to show up and unpack your stuff and live amongst the tall, tall trees if only for a long weekend. Breathing clear Yosemite air and watching the millions of stars come out helped remind me of the peacefulness that can come from appreciating every moment. Plus camp, for all its dirt and bugs and lack of Internet access is simply very fun. Just when I get tangled up in my own life and upset about what might or might not be, I find myself on stage with my friend Avner and a bunch of other camp staff, not to mention a dozen kids under the age of six, dancing to the Israeli club favorite Jessica. Like the Macarena or All the Single Ladies by Beyonce, the song Jessica has a signature dance and it is super fun...even better when being coached through and cheered along by Avner: "Okay, now be the train, choo choo! Excellent!" So fun. The next time I need to remind myself about the freedom of being in the present, the next time I need a break from the busy-ness of my mind I think I will dance Jessica just on my own, wherever I am. As a matter of fact, now is as good a time as any. Dance it with me, everyone...

Ech besof hashavu'a
hi be'ofen kavu'a, lo levad
im ein gever bashetach
(az) hi potachat bedietat shokolad
k'mo kol echad.

Vehachiyuch shelah ratuv
ani chozer k'shehi tashuv
nas'ah lah lemakom acher.

Tamid chashvah sheha'elohim
ahav lir'ot otanu menagnim
ki zeh harosh shel Jessica
Jessie, Jessie, Jessie Jessica ooh oh ooh oh
ah ooh oh ooh oh
achshav hi rechokah.

(read the lyrics in Hebrew and English here)

No comments:

Post a Comment