Sunday, March 29, 2009

Story #29: The Grand Express


http://www.yelp.com/biz/grand-express-oakland

From August, 1999, to June, 2007 I lived in San Francisco. Then from June, 2007 to October, 2008, I kind of lived everywhere and also nowhere which is a much longer series of stories for another time (extra, extra, read all about it here). And six months ago when I got my own apartment again I moved to Oakland.

Choosing to live in the East Bay was a complicated decision and one that was exactly right for me at the time. It is warm and sunny and cheaper here, there are wide open spaces and big old trees and a lake at the end of my block and hills to ride my bike through. There is a stellar taco truck by Fruitvale BART and, when need be, there is IKEA. That does not mean I don't miss living in San Francisco every single day. Not long ago someone asked me the million-dollar question: "So, when are you moving back to the city?" I startled myself with my instant response: "Next year," I replied.

Those plans are up in the air because my work situation is so ridiculously uncertain. Maybe I will move back, and maybe I won't. For now I have a rockstar apartment next to Lake Merritt. It is big and old and funky and clean and safe and has three (yes! count them) closets. It has a huge kitchen which is perfect because there is little else I love to do more in this world than play with my food in the form of cooking. It has hardwood floors and a two-tone paint job and a retro telephone you use to buzz people up from the front door.

And...it has the Grand Express. Located directly across the street from my apartment, the Grand Express is the corner store to end all corner stores. It is open from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. and it attracts ALL manner of patrons. Unlike corner stores in the city, the Grand Express has a parking lot which means that it is frequently the staging area for anything from 100-person bicycle protests headed down Grand towards Broadway to late-night dance parties with half a dozen low-riders circled up, stereos pumping Kanye West in unison.

The most notable feature of the Grand Express is its large, well-illuminated sign. Clearly visible from every room in my house, including the bathroom, the blazing letters in yellow, blue, and red advertising LIQUOR & GROCERIES is a hideous, ridiculous eyesore but is indeed an excellent landmark. Just last weekend I gave directions to a person who'd never been to my house before, and of course mentioned the sign as an indicator that she'd reached her destination. She found my house, no problem. So, it's good for something after all.

2 comments:

  1. i knew it. i knew you were hatching a plan to leave us. this will not go well for you, kotleba. you will not find a place as perfect as your current one, with such a brilliantly yellow sign and such wonderful atmosphere and music, in SF. it just won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EMILY. Stay calm. I don't even have a job for next year right now. At the rate I am going I will end up on involuntary sabbatical when my pink slip fails to be rescinded, in which case I will have to pack up the Subaru and become my brother's nanny in Burlington, Iowa. So if I leave you in Oakland it won't be for another studio out in the avenues, fear not. Besides...if I moved to the city how would I ever have any stories from Casual Carpool? Really. Stop worrying. I'll be showing up at your house at 8 p.m. expecting to watch cable and be fed dinner for a long, long time I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete