Thursday, February 5, 2009

Story #16: Arun Mixes it Up



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XAkJ8hcG1s

My student teacher from last semester is one of the most incredible people I have ever met. I knew he and I would get along the day I met him. I was in the school office working on something and he arrived, ten minutes early for our initial meeting. Another teacher came to get me to let me know he'd arrived and that she'd let him into the classroom he and I would be sharing. "He's so sweet!" she stage-whispered as we walked back towards the classrooms. "And he's tall, and bald, and he said he'd just sit in the class library and read until you got back!"

During the time we spent together I learned he is not only tall and bald but also that he does yoga, cooks amazing gourmet meals with combinations of incredible things from Berkeley Bowl, volunteers as an educator at the Oakland Zoo, has lived and rescued crocodiles in India, is married to another teacher who happens to be one of the most beautiful people on the face of the entire earth, and oh yeah--when he's not saving the world by being an elementary school teacher who is also a man who is also a person of color, which is huge in a profession dominated by white women, he's a rap star.

Check it out, yo...as if I didn't have enough admiration for him already, he rhymed the phrase "scientific method". Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment