Sunday, January 11, 2009

Story #4: I Know Famous People!


My best friend is Rebecca. She and I met in August, 2001 at the Teacher Inservice of the school where we had both just been hired. I knew she was cool because she had on Birkenstocks and a fabulous outfit and was carrying some kind of totebag from some kind of workshop, the "I Like To Read Books and I Support Gay People" conference or something, I don't remember, something about literacy and queer identity is all that comes to mind--anyway it was a cool totebag with a cool logo and Rebecca is cool and I love her and since then for the past seven and a half years we have been best friends.

Since we met there are some things about my life and Rebecca's life that have been the same, and some that have been different. We have both been to Israel a number of times since then and on two of those trips we've actually gone together. We have both moved a number of times and thanks to her my library and my kitchen at my old apartment in the city were both impeccably arranged. We have gone to farmers' markets together and celebrated each other's birthdays and a few times, last year, because she trusts me a lot Rebecca even let me teach her First Grade class while she was away getting married and on her honeymoon. I love love love Rebecca :)

There are, as I mentioned, also things that have been different about Rebecca and I during the past seven years as well. Rebecca is married to Mark, and they are expecting their first baby oh, sometime next month (!) so that is very different, because I have never been married and I do not have a February due date or really any plans to have a baby anytime soon at all. I was so, so fortunate to be with them when they got married--oh, it was really I think one of my very favorite days of my whole entire life--and while I don't expect that I will be with them when their baby actually arrives I hope they let me see her really soon after she comes and I have a daydream that maybe even they will let me hold her if I promise to wash my hands REALLY WELL beforehand.

Rebecca and Mark are so wonderful: they are generous and fun and thoughtful and creative and they will be such good parents. And, in addition to all these things, they are...FAMOUS. They just became famous today actually. Check them out:

http://superherodesigns.com/journal/

(There is no permalink so scroll down to the entry for January 11, 2009)

Look how famous my friends and their baby are!

No comments:

Post a Comment